This page is designed to help you ensure your submission is ready for and fits the scope of the journal.
Before submitting you should read over the guidelines here, then register an account (or login if you have an existing account). The 'SUBMIT' tab is located under the Account tab.
The Journal of Performance and Mindfulness
publishes peer-reviewed papers exploring the relationships between artistic performance and mindfulness practice. We currently publish one volume per year, with one or two issues per volume. We operate on a rolling-publication basis, releasing articles during the course of the year and adding a concluding editorial in December. We welcome the submission of scholarly articles, interviews, practice accounts, and book and performance reviews.
Focus and Scope
The journal is intended to have international applicability and reach, and also to serve both an international academic and non-(traditional) academic community. We invite contributions from researchers and practitioners throughout the world and from a wide range of disciplines and in a number of publication forms. Contributions are welcomed from areas including but not limited to:
- Mindfulness in performance: awareness; embodiment; consciousness
- Contemplative performance forms
- Contemplative approaches to creativity
- The performativity of meditation practice
- Mindfulness and somatic awareness in performance training
The journal aims to:
- Map the inter-relationships between performance and mindfulness, both theoretically and through analysis and discussion of historical and contemporary examples of practice
- Explore lineages, traditions and evolving bodies of practice
- Propose rigorous and informed definitions, categorisations and modes of discourse
- Consider ethical questions
- Develop interdisciplinary research, including through the application of analyses and arguments drawn from other domains of study (e.g., Contemplative Science).
- Interpret, evaluate and critique existing literature pertaining to aspects of performance and mindfulness
Please see our Notes for Contributors
and ensure your article is in compliance with them.
Articles are published under a Creative Commons attribution licence (CC BY) and the author retains rights to their content.
- Articles are double-blind peer reviewed.
- Since we would like to send your review directly to the author(s), do not add your name to the review form.
- Given the tight deadlines between submission and publication, we need to give author(s) a prompt decision. If for some reason you are unlikely to be able to let us have your review within three weeks, please return it to the editor as soon as you receive it so that another reviewer can be found.
- It is helpful if your comments can be phrased in a constructive way. Author(s) have normally invested a lot of energy and personal commitment in what they have written, and this should be respected. It is particularly helpful if the paper's positive features can be recognised as well as any deficiencies it may have, and clear suggestions for improvement can be offered.
- Please refer to the COPE Ethical Guidelines for Peer Reviewers, 2013.
Performance and Mindfulness allows the following licences for submission:
- CC BY 4.0 - More Information
Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.
No additional restrictions — You may not apply legal terms or technological measures that legally restrict others from doing anything the license permits.
The journal is fully open access with article processing charges supported by the University of Huddersfield Press - authors do not need to pay an APC.
Journal of Performance and Mindfulness is published twice a year, in electronic-only format.
Reviews, Reflections, Interviews